Thursday 8 November 2012

Je vais changer l'eau des olives...

Another interesting thing happened! The other night I was invited to a crêpe party here with Sam, another assistant. The person inviting us was an English assistant from last year who lives in Lyon now but whose French boyfriend lives here in Briançon. So off we went, with gifts of red wine and cake, and had such a good night! The guy whose house it was is called Pierre and I'm not going to lie to you I was very excited to make a French friend called Pierre. If only he had been wearing stripes and a beret my day would have been made. Anyway we ate crêpes and drank beer and had a great night chatting in French. I left feeling really proud of the fact that I had been able to converse easily with them, even though they spoke SOOO quickly and used a lot of Patois which of course I understood NONE of! But yeh they were all lovely and we have said we all need to do it again soon. :-) nothing like food to bond over! Also we managed to learn a few new expressions during the evening. I was explaining 'I'm going to see a man about a dog' to them and then was told that the French equivalent is 'Je vais changer l'eau des olives' (I'm going to change the olive water)...yeh I don't get it either. But then again the English one leaves me pretty stumped too. I showed them this video as a little joke but, despite my frantic explanations, they seemed to think this was an attempt to attack them. So they basically thought I was telling them they were alcoholic, food obsessed people who swear and make incomprehensible noises all the time...umm... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edYHlnhxyOI

No comments:

Post a Comment